Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

July 2016

25th July

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar 16-17) was launched at the request of Solent Coastguard just after 15:00 this afternoon to locate and assist a 35 foot sailing vessel with 2 crew that had reported an engine fire. 

Initially thought to be off Seaview, it eventually transpired that the yacht was in fact off Egypt Point (between Cowes & Gunard).  Once it became clear where the yacht actually was, Cowes's Atlantic 85 (B-859 Sheena Louise) was also launched to assist.   Having arrived on scene our mechanic was immediately transferred to the yacht by the Sheena Louise to check what the problem was.  He quickly identified that there had not in fact been a fire, merely some hot water pipes had burst which had created a lot of smoke/steam.

Once our mechanic had been transferred back to the Alfred Albert Williams and the yacht had been handed over to the Sheena Louise, the Alfred Albert Williams returned to Bembridge and was recovered by 16:30.

23rd July

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar 16-17) which was off Southsea providing immediate cover for the Louis Vuitton America's Cup World Series spectator fleet & "waving the RNLI flag", was tasked (as the closest lifeboat) by Solent Coastguard at around 14:20 to go to the assistance of a Hobie cat with two crew onboard that had lost its mast south of Langstone Harbour.

A tow was quickly established and subsequently handed over to the Langstone Harbour Master at the entrance to the harbour. The Alfred Albert Williams then returned to the race area in preparation for the planned Search & Rescue demo with the Coastguard helicopter (Rescue 104). Unfortunately there were too many support boats still in the race area and the pilot of Rescue 104 had no option other than to cancel the demo and return to base. The Alfred Albert Williams subsequently returned to Bembridge and was re-housed by 16:00.

20th July

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar 16-17) was launched at around 10:30 this morning at the request of Solent Coastguard to assist a 26 foot 3.5 ton yacht aground in Whiteclifff Bay with one person on-board which was high and dry close to the high water mark after her anchor chain had parted overnight.

Having deployed the Y boat and established that the vessel had not sustained any damage which was quite surprising given the number of rocks in the area but was laying beam onto the ever increasing swell rolling in, it was decided to call for the ILB to be launched to assist.  Once on-scene, RNLB Norman Harvey (D-778) dropped a crew member off onto the ashore and working in conjunction with the Alfred Albert Williams they managed to successfully pull the casualty vessel off the beach.  The Alfred Albert Williams then towed the boat to the lifeboat station where the tow was transferred to the Norman Harvey who towed her into Bembridge Harbour.

On completion both boats returned to station and were rehoused.

         ALB track                         ILB track                ILB connecting the tow

17th July

RNLB Norman Harvey (D-Class ILB D-778) was launched at 13:03 to assist a 16 foot speedboat that had broken down at the Yaverland end of Sandown Bay with three crew onboard. 

Sandown & Shanklin Inshore Rescue were already on scene but as they did not have a battery booster pack, they had requested our help through Solent CG.  The Norman Harvey was on scene by 13:11, however, having established that it was not just a flat battery problem, it was agreed that Sandown & Shanklin Inshore Rescue would establish a tow and endeavour to get the broken down speedboat into Bembridge Harbour whilst there was enough  water to enter.  

The Norman Harvey then returned to the Station and was recovered by 13:45.

5th July

Having launched as planned for training at 19:00, RNLB Alfred Albert Williams was tasked by Solent CG to check whether a single handed 36 foot yacht that had run aground on Ryde Sands required assistance. 

Having located the vessel by 19:10, the Y boat was deployed to find out whether the skipper was alright and whether he wanted to risk being be towed off or would wait for tide to come in.  Having confirmed that he was ok and was happy to wait for the tide, the Alfred Albert Williams continued on with her planned training.

4th July

RNLB Norman Harvey (D-778) launched at 13:20 at the request of Solent CG to assist the Bembridge CG team, Ventnor CG team and Rescue 104 helicopter locate someone who had been reported as being stuck on the cliffs at Culver/Yaverland. 

In the event the person concerned was able to self-rescue and made his own way back to Yaverland and inform the Bembridge CG team that he was safe.  The Norman Harvey was then stood down and returned to the Lifeboat Station and was recovered by 14:30.

2nd July

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar 16-17) launched as previously agreed with Solent CG at 10:00 to provide cover for sea area to the South East of the Isle of Wight & the Eastern Solent during the JP Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race.

During the day she responded to seven requests for assistance. The first was at 11:28 where she stood by a yacht that had broached just to the west of St Catherine’s Point and whose spinnaker was in the water. At 12:32 she stood by yacht “Sleeper” off St Catherine’s Point who had had an MOB that they had successfully recovered in case the crew member had been injured; in the event he was fit & well. At 13:40, she went to the assistance of yacht “Incognito” with six people onboard that had lost her rudder close to Dunose Head; a tow was established which was handed over to Gosport Lifeboat for the final leg into Portsmouth at 16:06.

At 17:00 she went along side “Pean II”, who had self recovered a MOB off Ventnor, for the crew member to be checked over by our onboard paramedic; in the event he was deemed to be fine. By 17:35 she had located yacht “Elan” with four crew that had lost her rudder off Sandown Pier and established a tow to Portsmouth that was transferred to Gosport Lifeboat for the final leg into Portsmouth at around 18:30.

Having got half way back to Bembridge she was then task to assist yacht “Shakiri” with four crew onboard that had run aground in the vicinity of Ryde Pier; in the event the yacht was able to reach deeper water safely without requiring assistance, however at roughly the same time (18:50), the Alfred Albert Williams was tasked to stand by yacht “Larka” with two crew onboard that had been dismasted just north of Ryde Sands. Having ascertained that the yacht was in no danger and happy to make her own way back to Cowes, she returned to Bembridge and was recovered by 20:00 having been at sea for 10 hours.

RNLB Norman Harvey (D-778) meanwhile launched as previously agreed at 13:00 and was soon tasked to assist a catamaran, Alien II, with 5 crew onboard that had been dismasted just north of the Lifeboat Station. Once the rig had been recovered, she was then towed to the RNLI mooring off the Station as there was insufficient water to take her into Bembridge Harbour. Having initially been tasked to assist the “Elan” who had lost her rudder in Sandown Bay, she returned to Bembridge when the task was taken over by the Alfred Albert Williams. She then towed “Alien II” into Bembridge and was finally recovered at around 18:45.